Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 2, 2012


Silos and Shadows


I keep hearing that we, as a church, need to get out of our silos.
I agree that we do need to reach beyond ourselves and meaningfully connect with others.

BUT – I would like to suggest a different metaphor – it is one as old as Plato.
I believe that our problem is more that we live in our caves, observe the shadows on the walls, allow the “shamans” to interpret them for us, and believe that the shadows are reality.

So far, I’ve experienced a few wonderful events this week that have drawn me out of my own cave.
At Junaluska, we gathered to reach across cultural and ethnic barriers to experience God’s grace.  From the opening “smudging ceremony” from the Native American tradition to the Eucharist celebrated in both English and Korean, we felt the presence of the Word – the reality that is behind the reality which only see as shadows.

This morning, I walked the streets of Washington while awaiting the gathering of Church and Society delegates to learn more about “Imagine No More Malaria.”  We will also advocate with our congressional representatives to protect funding for world health initiatives.
As I walked, I was drawn to a church that had candles burning inside the doorway, with a sound of celebration coming from within.  As I entered, I left my own cave and entered into the reality of the world-wide community of believers. 

I was welcomed into a Christian worship service.  I was offered the sacrament expressed by holy water served in a paper cup to every participant, (after being told that the participants took off their shoes as we approached the altar.  There, I received a blessing from the pastor and greetings from those who had assisted in the celebration.

I did not understand one word that the liturgist nor preacher said.  But, I clearly heard the WORD of God expressed in the hospitality and spirituality coming from fellow Christians in worship.  After the service, I was invited to share coffee and bread with the congregation.  As the only Caucasian in the room, I stood out.  It was at the fellowship time that I was warmly welcomed and told that this was a Coptic Church with members from Ethiopia - one of the countries where our No More Malaria efforts will be focused.   
 
Their question of me:  “Are you a part of the Christian family?”  This United Methodist pastor was being evangelized by people whom I had just met!
The walk back to the hotel was with a different gait and vision inthe bright morning sunlight!  Those I passed on the street became real children of God, not just the strangers that I had passed earlier in the day.

Does God work in unexpected ways?  Yes, but we have to be open to feel God’s “nudges” toward the light and drawing us out of our caves and shadows.
Pray that we, as a church as well as a nation, will continue to protect the children of the world from malaria.  May we offer hope for life and not the fear of death that flies on the wings of the mosquito?

Walk in the light as He is in the light. 
I received more than a crust of spiritual bread today.  Thanks be to God!

Brother Simeon

No comments:

Post a Comment